[Note: After a long period of illness, Professor David Gooding died in December of 2009. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Gooding's work.]
David Gooding is Director of the Science Studies Centre of the University of Bath and Director of Studies of the MSc in Science, Culture and Communication. During 2002-2003 he held a Leverhulme Research Fellowship for research on visualization in the sciences and from 1991-1993 he was a Medical Research Council Research Fellow for a project on Simulating Natural Intelligence. His main research interests are visualization and visual inference, science communication, agent-based simulation of scientific discovery, and the history of experiment in the sciences.
- Communication, Language
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Science Studies Centre
- Gooding, D. C., Gorman, M., Tweney, R., & Kincannon, A. (Eds.). (2005). Scientific and technological thinking. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Gooding, D. C. (2006). Visual cognition: Where cognition and culture meet. Philosophy of Science, 73(5), 688-698.
- Gooding, D. C. (2004). Envisioning explanations: The art in science. Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, 29(3), 278-294.
- Gooding, D. C., & Addis, T. R. (2008). Simulation methods for an abductive system in science. Foundations of Science, 13, in press.
- Gooding, D. C., & Addis, T. R. (2008). Modelling experiments as mediating models. Foundations of Science, 13, in press.
- Gooding, D. C. (2006). From phenomenology to field theory: Faraday’s visual reasoning. Perspectives on Science, 14, 40-65.
- Gooding, D. C. (2004). Cognition, construction and culture: Visual theories in the sciences. Journal of Cognition and Culture, 4, 551-594.
- Gooding, D. C. (2001). Experiment as an instrument of innovation: Experience and embodied thought. In M. Benyon (Ed.), Cognitive technology: Instruments of mind (pp.130-140). Heidelberg, Germany: Springer.
- Gooding, D. C. (2003). Varying the cognitive span: Experimentation, visualisation and digitalisation. In H. Radder (Ed.), Scientific experimentation and its philosophical significance (pp. 369-405). Pittsburg, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Gooding, D. C. (2005). Seeing the forest for the trees: Visualization, cognition and scientific inference. In M. Gorman et. al. (Eds.), Scientific and technological thinking (pp. 173-218). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Gooding, D. C. (2004). Visualization, inference and explanation in the sciences. In G. Malcolm (Ed.), Multidisciplinary approaches to visual representations and interpretations (pp. 1-26). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cultures of Belief
- Measurement and Meaning
- Public Knowledge
- Seeing Socially: Simulating Communication and Inference about Experience